If weight release is on your mind here are a few powerful things to know about carbohydrates:
1. If you want to weigh less, choose unrefined carbohydrates
Carbs that are refined/processed (made in a factory) jack your blood sugar and insulin way up high then drop it low. When your blood sugar is riding this roller coaster you end up feeling hungry all the time and craving even more processed carbs.
Whole food carbs are hefty and take longer to digest so they don’t affect your body in such a dramatic way. The more “real food” carbohydrates you choose the easier it is for your body to release fat. Think fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds and nuts. An extra added bonus is that your cravings decrease too!
2. If you want to weigh less, pair your carbs with protein and/or fat
When eating a carbohydrate, have some fat and/or protein too. Think banana and peanut butter or pear and smoked mozzarella. Fats and protein slow down your digestion. This means your blood sugar and insulin are not on a roller coaster so you have more energy, you feel less hungry, you feel more sane and your body can burn fat.
This is NOT about good food/bad food. This is about biology.
Making these changes will give you more energy, less mood swings, looser pants, and full satisfaction. These are delicious, filling foods; they will not lead to feeling deprived and hungry like we used to feel when we were dieting. This is powerful knowledge.
What hearty carbohydrates are you enjoying these days?
First, some background:
- I was stuck in the diet/binge cycle for 30 years
- Sugary packaged foods were my binge-drug of choice
- It felt terrible physically and emotionally
- The more sweet stuff I ate, the more I craved
- No more diet rules, just reasonable guidelines
- No foods are forbidden so there is no guilt over eating certain foods
- I love feeling good so it makes sense to do the things that make that happen
- Eating mostly whole foods and being physically active give me what I want
LESSONS LEARNED ALONG THE WAY:
Once I stepped away from dieting I was free to eat anything, even the foods that made me feel crappy. And I did. But I also began to listen to my body instead of diet rules…and soon I began to want to feel good.
I REALIZED WHAT I TRULY WANTED:
1. To feel vibrant in mind and body
2. To eat foods I enjoy
3. To LIVE whole-heartedly, which meant being life-focused, not food-focused
Over time, it became evident that eating real food (most of the time) got me what I wanted. Eating processed foods eventually left me feeling “wanting” – not good enough or full enough for long enough.
Some things I discovered about real food:
- What I eat really does have an effect on how I feel, especially my energy.
- It’s easier to stay at a weight that feels good when I eat real food.
- Whole foods keep me satisfied longer so I don’t feel like prowling. .
- Eating real food helps regulate my hypoglycemia (blood sugar) so I don’t feel crazy as often.
- Real food has more fiber so it keeps me reg’lar.
- I have WAY less cravings when I eat real food.
That’s it. I CAN EAT ANY DANG THING I WANT!!!! And – over time – I have genuinely come to crave whole foods most of the time.
BIG TAKE-AWAY: Eating nutritiously naturally happens as we become more intuitive and mindful. It’s a process – not a “program”. It takes time, honesty, grace, a lot of relapse along the way, and encouraging support from others who are on this same path.
If I can help you on your path in any way please let me know!
*Whole food (real food) is in it’s natural state – not processed and refined. It is close to the way it was originally found. An apple is a whole food. Apple Jacks is not.
CLICK on these links below for more on whole foods…
A COOL BLOG WITH GOOD RECIPES & RESOURCES
REAL FOOD MADE SIMPLE SITE