You already know that eating thoughtfully, rather than on auto-pilot, is going to make every eating experience more enjoyable and you more healthy.
Here are 7 BIG holiday helps just for Thanksgiving:
1. Do not starve all day in preparation for the “big meal”. You’ll be too hungry to make satisfying choices.
2. Forget about eating your “greens” this one day – unless you truly want them. Your stomach has a limited capacity for these once-a-year foods so eat exactly what you would like to eat.
SUPPORT TOOL: Look at your fist; it’s about the size of your stomach. It’s a helpful, handy reminder and guide.
3. Think of yourself as a CONNOISSEUR – no one enjoys food more! Think in terms of truly delectable morsels rather than mindless huge amounts. Savor each thoughtfully chosen bite and you will leave more satisfied than anyone else.
4. Eat heartily – which means with your whole heart – fully engaged and present with the company and the food.
5. Take time to enjoy a stroll for reflection and recalibration during the day.
Getting out of the house breaks the eating spell and is very refreshing. This can be a short walk…just for pleasure and to clear your head.
6. Determine NOT to eat in secret. You don’t have to.
Eat what you want openly. Eat it with gratitude and grace because you are free.
7. Be ready for the day AFTER Thanksgiving.
Left-overs can scream at us to “finish them off”. If we aren’t prepared, we can let our awareness-guard down and fall back into old patterns.
Don’t let old thoughts of “I can’t waste this perfectly good food” push you around. You can honor your health and the food more by throwing it away than by putting in your body if you aren’t hungry. This is very freeing!
SUPPORT Tool: Have take-home containers ready so people can take food with them.
I pray you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday – whether you are alone or with many.
I am very thankful for YOU!